Search Transit Toronto

Powered by GOOGLE.

TTC replacing rails at King West / Dunn, starting June 28

Starting Monday, June 28, TTC crews are replacing rail on the streetcar right-of-way for the eastbound stop

  • on King Street West at Dunn Avenue.

By 7 a.m. June 28, crews set up a work zone near the stop. Crews work only in the track area to:

  • saw-cut, mill and break concrete to expose the rail;
  • replace old rail with new rail; and
  • place new concrete.

The TTC says, “While most work typically ends at 11 p.m., rail work of this nature requires periods of around-the-clock work to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete.”

When crews replace the old rail with new rail, they also cut, weld and grind the new rail. They’ll pour concrete in the track area and set it to cure. The new concrete requires curing time before the crews can remove the work zone and traffic can again flow over the entire roadway.

The work zone restricts traffic to the curb lanes. The City of Toronto is temporarily prohibiting on-street parking in the area to maintain traffic flow. The work zones may also block motorists from turning left onto or off of King West.

Ongoing construction at the intersection of Queen Street West / King Street West / The Queensway / Roncesvalles Avenue has required the TTC to replace streetcars along various routes with buses through the area. Passengers aboard buses along these routes can expect delays:

  • 301L Queen / Long Branch overnight shuttle buses;
  • 304 King overnight shuttle buses;
  • 501L Queen / Long Branch shuttle buses;
  • 501P Queen / Humber shuttle buses; and
  • 504Q King shuttle buses.

Track-replacement at King West / Dunn and the resulting TTC service changes continue until July 2 (4:30 a.m.)

Support us on Patreon Button

Welcome to Transit Toronto! This is an information site dedicated to public transportation in Toronto, maintained by transit enthusiasts for transit enthuasiasts. This is NOT the official website of the Toronto Transit Commission, Metrolinx or any other transit provider or government agency. To access the official websites of these agencies, consult this page here.